Sunday, February 21, 2021

A place near to your altar

 I have been reading the psalms of late, and this is one of the themes that comes up. It also reminds me of a beautiful song, which draws from the same places (I cannot find a link - sorry).

And it sets me to thinking - how do we understand and interpret this idea in a non-sacramental form of Christianity, like the Quakers? We have no altar, and we meet in a room with no special meaning or structure.

So it is worth considering what the original meaning of this is. The place "near to the altar" is about a life dedicated to the worship of God - those near to the altar were the priests dedicated to the temple for life. These are the people who lived in the very presence of the divine. whose life was dedicated to maintaining this worship.

The problem is that this role has - because of some people in such roles - it has been confused. The role "near to the altar" is not a gatekeeper to God. Their role is to facilitate and enable to sacrifices of the people, the peoples worship of God. Also, it is not for "special" people - it is privileged, and these are different.

So, how does this relate to a Quaker faith? The "altar" - the presence of the divine - is still what we seek. a place near the divinity is my desire still. But also - it is about seeing this divinity not just in a place, not in a physical place, but in all of the world.

I live opposite a childrens playground. I can sit and watch the kids playing, enjoying themselves and exploring their abilities. I think I have a place near to the altar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bringer of Peace?

 Listening to the Proms, and Holsts Planets suite - a piece I love - it always strikes me as fascinating that Venus is "The Bringer of ...