Sunday, May 17, 2020

Seeing ourselves.

So I was told recently that on a zoom meeting, your own video feed is reversed, because (apparently) people find it easier to see themselves as they see themselves in the mirror, rather than as others see themselves.

I was reminded of this in Meeting this morning, as there is a clock in the background, which is backwards as I see it.

Others, of course, see my video the correct way around.

The way we see ourselves is not the way that others see the us. That is very true - not just in online meetings. Our own perception of ourselves is not the same as others see us, maybe not completely reversed, but different - because seeing ourselves as others see us is disturbing. We prefer to see ourselves differently.

I think there is an interesting conclusion here: sometimes we need to believe what others see in us, what others say about us. Sometimes, other people see us better than we see ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bringer of Peace?

 Listening to the Proms, and Holsts Planets suite - a piece I love - it always strikes me as fascinating that Venus is "The Bringer of ...