Sunday, January 19, 2020

Changing faith

So I have been obessing over a song I heard this week - a version of "A Sound of Silence" by Disturbed. It is a cover of the Simon and Garfunkel song

The original song is incredible, and still makes the hairs on the back of my neck tingle. The performance is perfect (as always). The lyrics are very contemporary, the music is not, but still works - it is still a good song. The original is as old as me (which is old!) - 1963, since which time the music world has changed several times. It is unrecognisable from the world that song was originally written in.

The Disturbed version bring out (for me) new nuances and ideas from it. And makes my entire spine shiver. Because it is totally right for the song, honouring the original, but also fresh.


My faith is based on Judaism - which is 6,000 years old. Reunderstood as Christianity 2,000 years ago. Most of my theological expression and ideas - most of the language of my faith - is no more than 150 years old. It has been my faith for a bit over 40 years.

And yet, if my faith is not re-envisioned, with respect for the history and tradition, but with a distinct focus on what is right not, it is dead. A living faith is one that is prepared to listen again, re-interpret. Of course, not all new ideas are right, but to be open for the new is so important.

The fact that my faith has origins 6,000 years ago doesn't mean there is nothing new to find, to understand. In fact, it means that there is good solid tradition on which to understnad the faith TODAY in the context of the world now.

Because without that, I would never have given the Quakers a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bringer of Peace?

 Listening to the Proms, and Holsts Planets suite - a piece I love - it always strikes me as fascinating that Venus is "The Bringer of ...